Saturday, April 30, 2011

Objective 9: Compare and contrast bond types

I didn't realize how rusty I was on bond types until I reached this objective. I believe I learned this information awhile back when I was in middle school during physical science, came across it again during chemisty, and then brushed by it in anatomy and physiology 1. So, long story short, I had to refer to chapter 2 in our textbook to become refreshed with this old topic. The textbook does a good job of simply explaining what each bond is on pages 27, 28 and 30. There are three major types of chemical bonds: ionic, covalent, and hydrogen bonds.

Ionic bond:

An ionic bond is a chemical bond between atoms where one or more electrons is transferred from one atom to another. The atom that gains one or more electrons is the electron adapter and it obtains a negative charge (anion). The atom that loses one or more electrons is the electron donor and it obtains a positive charge (cation).

Covalent bond:

A covalent bond occurs when two atoms share electrons and the shared electrons occupy a single orbital common to both atoms. When two atoms only share one pair of electrons, a single covalent bond is formed. When two atoms share two or three electron pairs, a double or triple covalent bond is formed.

Hydrogen bond:

A hydrogen bond is more like an attraction than a true bond. Hydrogen bonds form when a hydrogen atom, already covalently linked to one electronegative atom, is attracted by another electron- hungry atom (greedy-grabby) and a "bridge" is formed between them.


These two photos from our textbook is are examples of ionic and covalent bonds.



(ionic bond)


(covalent bond)


While I was surfing the web, I came across this Youtube video describing ionic and covalent bonds and I just had to add it to this objective. It not only is informative, but it is a very cute video that really made this information stick. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. When I started viewing it, it made me laugh. But be careful, its quite catchy!


No comments:

Post a Comment