Thursday, April 21, 2011

Objective 27: Listen to heart sounds

This objective was pretty easy to learn, since I listen to heart sounds everyday as a certified nursing assistant. I took the C.N.A course about a year and a half ago through T.C.L continuing education, and the course is where I learned how to listen to heart sounds using a stethoscope. Beside our course online, I had to complete a couple skills classes and we took turns listening to each others heartbeats. My class performed clinicals at Bayview Nursing Home. We were required to use to the stethoscope to listen to our assigned patients heartbeat and to hear the systolic and diastolic beats of the blood pressure. I currently work as a C.N.A. at NHC nursing home in Bluffton, so it was beneficial that I've had prior experience listening to heart sounds. In our A & P II class this semester, I had a lab that required us to use the stethoscope and listen to different parts of another classmate's chest to hear the aortic valve, pulmonary valve, mitral valve, and tricuspid valve. This was helpful to me because I didn't know that by placing the stethoscope by different valves of the heart produced different heart sounds. This lab helped reinforce the information that I had previously learned in my C.N.A. course.


No comments:

Post a Comment