Monday, April 18, 2011

Objective 15: Discuss how the adrenal gland responds to stress

This picture from page 543 in our textbook helped me to understand how the adrenal gland responds to stress. On the left side of the chart, it shows the effects of short-term stress and lists the response of the stress on the body. On the right side of the chart, it shows the effects and responses when more prolonged stress is brought upon the body. The stressful stimuli causes the hypothalamus to activate the adrenal medulla via sympathetic nerve impulses (shown on the left) and activates the adrenal cortex via hormonal signals (shown on the right). I love to have charts that show where in the body things occur. When I read it in the textbook, its hard for me to understand and that's why this chart was so helpful to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment